SDN and NFV deployment is growing deeper but not broader: the long tail lags behind the pioneers.
Welcome to The NFV Deployment Tracker!
This report is the fourth analytical report in the ‘NFV Deployment Tracker’ series and is intended as an accompaniment to the third update of the Tracker Excel spreadsheet (to the end of June 2018).
The update extends the coverage of the Tracker worldwide: adding a comprehensive set of data on live, commercial deployments of NFV and SDN in the African, Latin American and Middle East markets to the existing data set on Asia-Pacific, Europe and North America. In addition, the spreadsheet contains updated and expanded data on deployments in the latter regions.
The expansion of the Tracker’s coverage worldwide presents an opportunity to gain an overview of global SDN and NFV development and deployment trends, and to assess the prospects for the technologies, and the services based on them, going forward.
Previous editions and other NFV / SDN research
- NFV Deployment Tracker: Asia takes the lead – April 2018
- NFV Deployment Tracker: North America – SD-WAN tail wags NFV dog – January 2018
- NFV Deployment Tracker: Europe – September 2017
- Webinar: Keeping NFV on track – December 2017
- NFV/SDN deployment pathways: Three telco futures – January 2018
Scope of information provided by the Tracker
The data in the NFV Deployment Tracker is sourced primarily from public-domain information such as telco and vendor press releases and reliable press reports regarding successfully completed deployments and the launch of live, commercial services based on virtualised network functions (VNFs) or SDN. We have also obtained some confidential information direct from operators, which we are unable to present in the detailed break-down of deployments by operator. However, this information has been added to an aggregated data set, which is also provided in the spreadsheet.
The data is therefore limited to verified deployments: production implementations of NFV and SDN powering live services, where we can be confident that the data on the VNFs and IT components involved is accurate and – as far as possible – up to date. We also include some information on deployments planned to be completed by the end of 2017 or by a date as yet unknown, where the information is in the public domain, and where the size and scope of the deployments merit their inclusion.
- Executive Summary
- The volume and pace of SDN / NFV deployments continues to grow…
- …but some fundamental challenges remain
- The focus of deployments varies region by region
- Operator trends
- Vendor trends
- Welcome to the third update of the ‘NFV Deployment Tracker’
- Scope, definitions and importance of the data
- Analysis of the global data set
- Constant growth – but SDN / NFV deployment is far from universal
- Asia-Pacific ahead on number of deployments despite a slowdown in 2018
- SD-WAN, SDN, core network functions and orchestration have driven the growth in 2018
- Operator trends: Leading players rack up the deployments, leaving others lagging far behind
- Vendor trends: a few major players dominate the scene – but telcos continue to look for alternatives
- Figure 1: Growth in the number of SDN / NFV deployments per year, 2012 to June 2018
- Figure 2: Breakdown of total deployments by region, 2012 to June 2018
- Figure 3: Deployments by region, 2014 to 2018
- Figure 4: Global deployments by higher-level category, 2014 to 2018
- Figure 5: Deployments in Europe by leading category, 2014 to 2018
- Figure 6: Asia-Pacific deployments by higher-level category, 2014 to 2018
- Figure 7: Deployments in North America by leading categories, 2014 to 2018
- Figure 8: Global deployments of leading VNFs and functional components, 2014 to 2018
- Figure 9: Total deployments of leading VNFs and functional components, Middle East
- Figure 10: Leading VNFs and functional components, Latin America
- 1Figure 11: Leading operators by number of deployments, global
- Figure 12: Leading vendors by number of deployments, global
- Figure 13: Leading vendors by deployment category 25