This second update to our ‘NFV Deployment Tracker’ series focuses on North America, alongside additional European data. 2016/7 has seen the rise of SD-WAN, enabling smaller operators to compete in the WAN market with NFV leaders AT&T, Verizon, Masergy, CenturyLink, etc. By contrast, fewer consumer use cases for NFV have yet been established.
Welcome to the first update of the ‘NFV Deployment Tracker’
This report is the second analytical report in the ‘NFV Deployment Tracker’ series and is intended as an accompaniment to the first update of the Tracker Excel spreadsheet (to December 2017).
The update provides a comprehensive set of data on live, commercial deployments of NFV and SDN in the North American market (including the US, Canada and the Caribbean). In addition, the spreadsheet contains updated and revised data on deployments in the European region.
In March 2018, the data set and analysis will be extended to all other regions worldwide, with the aim of providing the industry’s most comprehensive, authoritative source of information on live deployments of NFV and SDN.
Scope, definitions and importance of the data
Detailed explanation of the scope of the information provided in the Tracker, definitions of terms (including how we define a live ‘deployment’ and definitions of frequently used NFV / SDN acronyms) and an account of why we think it is important to track the progress of NFV / SDN are provided in the first analytical report of the series – NFV Deployment Tracker: Europe (September 2017).
- Executive Summary
- Conclusion: strong growth in 2018 will be delivered by the continuing rise of SD-WAN and new consumer use cases
- Welcome to the first update of the ‘NFV Deployment Tracker’
- Scope, definitions and importance of the data
- Analysis of the North American data set
- Overall data and trends
- ‘Service-led Innovation’ has driven the deployments
- ‘Technology Evolution’ deployments are less in evidence
- Operator trends: AT&T and Verizon dispute first place, while other players focus on differentiated offers
- Vendor trends: SD-WAN and vCPE vendors lead the way
- Conclusion: A dynamic enterprise market – but consumer use cases still outstanding
- Figure 1: Total NFV and SDN deployments in North America, 2011 to 2017
- Figure 2: North American deployments by higher-level category, 2014 to 2017
- Figure 3: European deployments by higher-level category, 2014 to 2017
- Figure 4: Leading North American operators by number of NFV / SDN deployments
- Figure 5: Leading vendors by number of deployments (North America)