Telcos are looking towards the enterprise market to make the business case for 5G. But for most industries, 5G is just one of many technologies needed to drive efficiency and innovation. Which verticals' needs best match telcos' capabilities?
This report outlines key challenges within selected industry verticals, and how telcos can help resolve them with three emerging networking technologies – 5G, IoT and edge computing.
This research builds on many previous reports:
- 5G: Just another ‘G’ – yet a catalyst of change
- Elisa’s Smart Factory: How to win over industry leaders in just two years
- Telcos in health
- Autonomous cars: Where’s the money for telcos?
- Three new telco business models: Soft-net, Cloudnet, Compute-net
- Our consulting team’s deep experience in edge computing
Enterprise services evolve alongside communications and information technologies
The early days of 2G/3G
- Basic M2M connectivity
- Early versions of private networks, bypassing the internet for sensitive data transfer
Improving mobility and capacity with 4G and fibre
- Better connectivity drives demand for video-conferencing and more sophisticated UCaaS
- Mobile and fixed data connectivity is powerful enough to enable greater enterprise mobility and support the shift towards cloud-based services
- Different verticals increasingly require bespoke solutions for unique needs – which are easier to deliver through the cloud