This report summarises the value and trends of M&A deals related to edge computing, covering the time period of the last four years. The report highlights key deals and company spotlights, as well as providing insights into the expected M&A activity over the next year.
M&A activity in edge computing has matured over the last four years
While general TMT M&A deals trended down in 2023, there was evidence of both resilience and maturation in the edge computing market. Several significant deals, particularly related to edge computing data centres and software companies, have bucked overall industry trends. We highlight key deals, such as the acquisitions made by European edge datacentre company nLighten and the seed funding of the SASE company Cato Networks.
In this research note, we provide coverage of deals including M&A, venture capital and private equity, looking into the types of edge computing companies most likely to attract investment and general trends in the market.
Value of edge computing investments in comparison to cloud market investments
Source: STL Partners edge investments tracker
While investment into edge computing remains a small fraction of investment into technologies like cloud, the deal value for edge transactions increased 184% in 2023 in comparison to 2022.
Enter your details below to download an extract of the report
Table of contents
- Summary of M&A performance in edge computing (2020-2023)
- Total value of investments and number of deals in the edge computing market
- Trends in the edge investment market
- Spotlight deals and companies to watch
- Summary of largest deals in the edge investment market (2020-2023)
- Deal spotlights
This research note is part of our Edge Insights Service which also includes:
- Our edge reports and articles
- Edge market sizing forecast
- Network edge data centre forecast
- Edge Computing Use Case Directory
- Edge Computing Ecosystem Tool