About the sustainability scorecard
This sustainability scorecard benchmarks the performance of a selection of companies against eight sustainability-related criteria, and is designed to highlight the areas in which the listed companies are more and less mature in their sustainability strategies. The companies listed include telcos and a selection of others in adjacent industries (technology, vendor and infrastructure).
The scorecard supports telcos and their partners to:
- Benchmark sustainability performance against competitors
- Understand areas of relative strength
- Identify specific actions operators can take to embed sustainability more effectively across their organisations.
Last updated: 2 August 2023
Our list of companies are scored against eight sustainability criteria including:
1. Holistic sustainability reporting. Whether the company has history of publishing sustainability reports over a period of time, the granularity of reporting and discussion of sustainability-related initiatives across the organisation shows a long-term and company-wide commitment to progress.
2. Sustainability commitments and incentives. Evidence of board and employee level incentives tied to ESG targets demonstrates that the organisation sees achieving sustainability targets as core to its long-term competitiveness.
3. Progress towards net-zero. Public reporting on scope 1, 2 and 3 with associated emission reduction targets. Detailed reporting creates confidence that the company is making tangible progress towards net-zero goals.
4. Green finance. This includes the issuing of green bonds or sustainability linked bonds, demonstrating that the organisation is building buy-in with its finance team.
5. Commitment and progress against diversity and inclusion targets. Companies with a holistic approach to sustainability will articulate progress on social and governance initiatives, and how these bring long term value to the organisation.
6. Commitment to biodiversity. Initiatives to assess and mitigate the organisation’s impact on biodiversity demonstrate forward thinking in the sustainability team.
7. Enablement. Companies that are committed to enabling their customers to reduce their carbon footprint will have concerted initiatives that are delivering measurable benefits.
8. Collaboration. Cross industry initiatives are crucial to bringing companies across the telecoms supply chain together to collectively progress standardisation on reporting and develop resources to drive sustainability agendas.