About the sustainability scorecard
This sustainability scorecard benchmarks the performance of a selection of companies against seven sustainability-related criteria, and is designed to highlight the areas in which the listed companies are more and less mature in their sustainability strategies. The companies listed includes telcos and small selection of others in adjacent industries (technology, infrastructure).
It supports telcos and their partners to:
- Benchmark sustainability performance against competitors
- Understand areas of relative strength
- Highlight areas that require greater focus in order to guide future sustainability strategies
Our list of companies are scored against seven sustainability criteria including:
1. Structured sustainability reporting. Whether the company has history of publishing sustainability reports over a period of time shows a sustained commitment to sustainability.
2. Sustainability commitments and incentives. Evidence of board level incentives tied to ESG targets demonstrates that the organisation sees achieving sustainability targets as core to its long term competitiveness.
3. Public reporting on scope 1, 2 and 3 with associated emission reduction targets.
4. Green finance. This includes the issuing of green bonds or sustainability linked bonds.
5. External recognition of social initiatives to highlight the full spectrum of ESG initiatives.
6. Commitment to biodiversity.
7. Enablement. Companies that are committed to enabling their customers to reduce their carbon footprint will have concerted initiatives that are delivering measurable benefits.
Companies included in the scorecard
5. SK Telecom
9. Deutsche Telekom
27. America Movil
30. Saudi Telecom Company
31. T Mobile
32. China Mobile
33. Telkom Indonesia
37. Tata Communications
39. China Telecom
40. Bharti Airtel
41. American Tower Corporation