Microsoft, Affirmed and Metaswitch: What does it mean for telecoms?
Our in-depth analysis of Microsoft’s play in the telecoms market, why it acquired Affirmed Networks and Metaswitch, and what telcos should do about it.
Format: PDF filePages: 52 pages Charts: 11 Author: David Martin Publication Date: August 2020
Table of contents
- Executive Summary
- Microsoft wants to be a win-win partner
- What should telcos and others do?
- Next steps
- What is Microsoft doing, and should telcos be worried?
- What has Microsoft done?
- Microsoft’s telecom timeline
- What is Microsoft’s strategy?
- Microsoft’s five partnership and service models
- The ‘Azure for Operators’ portfolio completes the set
- 5G, cloud-native and net compute: Microsoft places itself at the heart of telco industry transformation
- Cellular connectivity – particularly 5G – is pivotal
- Telco-hyperscaler business models: What should telcos do?
- Different hyperscalers have different telco strategies: comparison between Azure, AWS and Google Cloud
- What should telcos do? Compete, consume or collaborate?
- Microsoft’s ecosystem partnership model: What counts as success for telcos?
- More important to grow the ecosystem than share of the value chain
- Real-world examples: AT&T versus Verizon
- Conclusion: Telcos should stay in the net compute game – and Microsoft wants be a partner
- Appendix 1: Analysis of milestones of Microsoft’s journey into telecoms
- Appendix 2: Opportunities and risks of different types of telco-hyperscaler partnership
- Executive Summary
Table of Figures
Figure 1: Five business models for partnerships
Figure 2: Microsoft Azure’s telcos strategy
Figure 3: Microsoft’s move on telecoms
Figure 4: Five business models for partnerships
Figure 5: Net compute
Figure 6: The pieces in the Azure for Operators jigsaw
Figure 7: Net compute
Figure 8: AWS and GC ‘consume’ the telco network; Microsoft Azure enables it
Figure 9: Opportunities and risks of different types of telco-hyperscaler partnership
Figure 10: Assembling the pieces of a comprehensive offer to telcos
Figure 11: Opportunities and risks of telco-hyperscaler partnerships
Keywords:5G, Cloud, edge computing, enterprise, Hyperscalers, partnership, Platform, Strategy, telco cloud, telcos, verticals, Virtualisation
Companies & technologies covered:AWS, Azure, Metaswitch, microsoft