VoLTE: Voice beyond the phone call?
£1,000.00 excl VAT
VoLTE solves the complex problem of providing voice services over a 4G mobile data network. Although it may allow 2G and 3G networks to be turned off, and their spectrum re-farmed to other networks, declining call revenues (and in some cases declining volumes) are dampening appetite to invest in VoLTE. However, with voice beyond telephony on the rise, for example through AI-powered voice assistants and video calling, can telcos use VoLTE as an opportunity to develop new IP-based voice and messaging communications offerings?
Format: PDF filePages: 25 pages Charts: 04 Author: Dean Bubley Publication Date: April 2017
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Telephony is still necessary in the 4G era
- 4G phone calls: what are the options?
- The history of VoLTE
- The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
- The motivations for VoLTE deployment
- The problems for VoLTE deployment?
- Industry politics
- Market Status & Forecasts
- Business & Strategic Implications
- Is VoLTE really just “ToLTE”?
- Link to NFV & Cloud
- GSMA Universal Profile: Heaven or Hell for Telcos?
- Do telcos have a role in video communications?
- Intersection with enterprise voice
Table of Figure
- Figure 1: Various markets are beyond “peak telephony” despite lower call costs
- Figure 2: VoLTE, mobile VoIP & LTE timeline
- Figure 3: VoLTE coverage is often deployed progressively
- Figure 4: LTE subscribers, by voice technology, 2009-2021
Technologies and industry terms referenced include: 4G, 5G, IMS, Messaging, MVNOs, standards, Technology, UCaaS, video, VoIP, VoLTE, VoWiFi