Open RAN: What should telcos do?
£3,000.00 excl VAT
Alongside the roll-out of 5G cores and radios, the Radio Access Network (RAN) is evolving to a more open, virtualised and distributed architecture. What are the opportunities and risks for telcos?
Format: PDF filePages: 43 pages Charts: 10 Author: David Martin Publication Date: April 2020
Table of contents
- Executive summary
- What is the open RAN and why does it matter?
- Legacy RAN: single-vendor and inflexible
- The open RAN: disaggregated and flexible
- Terminology, initiatives & standards: clearing up confusion
- What are the opportunities for open RAN?
- Deployment in macro networks
- Deployment in greenfield networks
- Deployment in geographically-dispersed/under-served areas
- Deployment to support consolidation of radio generations
- Deployment to support capacity and coverage build-out
- Deployment to support private and neutral host networks
- How have operators deployed open RAN?
- What are the operators doing?
- How successful have deployments been?
- How are vendors approaching open RAN?
- Challenger RAN vendors: pushing for a revolution
- Incumbent RAN vendors: resisting the open RAN
- Are incumbent vendors taking the right approach?
- How should operators do open RAN?
- Step 1: Define the roadmap
- Step 2: Implement
- Step 3: Measure success
- What next?
Table of Figures
Figure 1: Legacy RAN architecture
Figure 2: Centralised RAN (C-RAN) architecture
Figure 3: Virtual RAN (vRAN) architecture
Figure 4: Open-RAN architecture
Figure 5: The open RAN Venn – How C-RAN, vRAN and open-RAN fit together
Figure 6: Open RAN architecture based on the Option 7.2 interface
Figure 7: Open-RAN creates opportunities for new players and business models in private and wholesale networking
Figure 8: Mavenir open RAN architecture and partner ecosystem
Figure 9: Open-RAN versus proprietary RAN roadmaps
Figure 10: Convergence of open-RAN & MEC in Telefónica’s Open Access architecture
Keywords: 4G, 5G, access, C-RAN, centralised RAN, centralized RAN, cloud RAN, coverage, disaggregation, distributed RAN, edge, New Radio, nfv, O-RAN, open RAN, Parallel Wireless, radio, radio access network, RAN, SDN, telco cloud, virtual RAN, vRAN
Companies & technologies covered: Altiostar, Ericsson, Mavenir, Nokia, Rakuten, Telefonica, Vodafone