Facebook’s Telecom Infra Project: What is it good for?
£1,000.00 excl VAT
Facebook set up the Telecom Infra Project in 2016 to drive open source standards in core telecoms hardware and network operations. In this report we examine the implications of this project for telcos and other industry players, and recommend how they should respond.
Format: PDF filePages: 19 pages Charts: 03 Author: Dean Bubley Publication Date: August 2017
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- What does Open-Source mean, applied to hardware?
- Focus areas for TIP
- Strategic considerations and implications
- Operator involvement with TIP
- A different IPR model to other open-source domains
- Fit with other Facebook initiatives
- Who are the winners?
- Who are the losers?
- Conclusions and Recommendations
Table of Figure
- Figure 1: A core TIP philosophy is “unbundling” components of vendor “black boxes”
- Figure 2: OpenCellular functional architecture and external design
- Figure 3: SKT sees open-source, including TIP, as fundamental to 5G
Technologies and industry terms referenced include: 4G, 5G, Cloud, developers, edge, enterprise, IIoT, IoT, nfv, SDN, standards, Technology