6G: Hype versus reality
£3,000.00 excl VAT
There is a proliferation of reports on the potential technologies and use cases that will be part of the 6G roll-out, but little distinction between what’s real and what’s hype. We identify what 6G is most likely to emerge by 2030, and what telcos and vendors should prioritise now.
Format: PDF filePages: 41 pages Charts: 12 Author: Charlotte Patrick and Dean Bubley Publication Date: July 2022
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- What is 6G?
- Key considerations for telcos and vendors around 6G
- What should telcos and vendors do now?
- 6G capabilities: Short-term focus areas
- Other influencing factors
- What is 6G and why does it matter?
- Who’s driving the 6G discussion?
- What are they saying?
- The reality of moving from 5G Advanced to 6G
- Likely roll out of 6G capabilities
- Regulation and geopolitics
- The expected impact of regulation and geopolitics
- Summary of 6G consortiums and other interested parties
- 6G products and services
- Requirements for 6G
- AI/ML in 6G
- 6G security
- 6G privacy
- 6G sustainability
- Drivers and barriers to 6G deployment
- Short-term drivers
- Short-term barriers
- Long-term drivers
- Long-term barriers
- Conclusion: Realistic expectations for 6G
- The reality: What we know for certain about 6G / IMT2030
- Possibilities: Focus areas for 6G development
- The hype: Highly unlikely or impossible by 2030
Table of Figures
- Figure 1: Roadmap for 6G
- Figure 2: Design goals and technologies of 6G
- Figure 3: Ultra-high data rate / ultra-low latency
- Figure 4: New frequencies and interconnections
- Figure 5: Ultra-massive MIMO and ultra-flexible physical and control layers
- Figure 6: High resolution location
- Figure 7: Improved sensing capabilities
- Figure 8: General network concepts
- Figure 9: Potential 6G products and services
- Figure 10: Impact of 6G on telco systems
- Figure 11: AI/ML capabilities in 6G
- Figure 12: Drivers and barriers for 6G
Keywords: 5G, 6G, AR/VR, FWA, metaverse, MNO, open RAN, OSS, private networks, RIS, sustainability, Wi-Fi