5G: How Will It Play Out?
£1,000.00 excl VAT
There’s a lot at stake in 5G, and many players are understandably pushing their own views and strategies hard. Our latest analysis summarises the story so far, the barriers, players and timelines, and how we see it playing out.
Format: PDF filePages: 24 pages Charts: 07 Author: Dean Bubley, Alexander Harrowell, Roz Euan-Smith, Dalia Adib, Andrew Collinson Publication Date: September 2016
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Introduction: Different visions of 5G
- One Network to Rule Them All: Can it Happen?
- Network slicing: a nice theory, but work needed…
- Difficulty versus Urgency: understanding opportunities and blockers for 5G
- Business drivers of the timeline: both artificial and real
- Internet-Agility Driving Progress
- How big is the mission critical IoT opportunity?
Table of Figure
- Figure 1: 5G, the vision: one radio for everything
- Figure 2: The New Radio standardisation timeline, as of June 2016
- Figure 3: An example frame structure, showing the cost of critical comms
- Figure 4: LTE RAN protocols desperately need simplicity
- Figure 5: Moving the Internet/RAN boundary may be problematic, but the ultra-low latency targets demand it
- Figure 6: Easy versus urgent
- Figure 7: A summary of key opportunities and barriers in 5G
Technologies and industry terms referenced include: 5G, broadband, critical comms, Internet of Things, IoT, M2M, standards, Technology